Every year, over 2,000 foreign nationals are granted a green card through the EB-1B visa. The EB-1B visa is only available to foreign professors and researchers who want to work as professors or researchers for a private employer, official government organization, or university in the United States.

The EB-1B visa is not only available to professors and researchers. People who qualify for this type of visa are well-known around the world and have made significant contributions to their field. With this visa, professionals can get green cards, which give them the right to live and work in the U.S. permanently.

EB-1B Green Card Requirements

There are three main requirements to qualify for an EB-1B visa:

  • At least three years of experience doing or teaching research in your academic field.
  • Have international recognition as being outstanding in an academic field.
  • Have a US job offer to work as a researcher or in a teaching position.

How to Prove That You Are an Outstanding, Internationally Recognized Professor or Researcher in Your Field.

Green card applicants must satisfy at least two out of six of the following criteria:

  • Major honors or awards for exceptional achievement in your academic field should be nationally recognized.
  • Be an author of scholarly articles or publications.
  • Have contributed original work to your field.
  • Have judged the work of others in your field.
  • Have published material written by others about your research?
  • Be a member of associations that require outstanding achievement.

The Process of Getting an EB-1B Visa

Hire an Immigration Lawyer

An immigration lawyer will evaluate whether or not EB-1B is the best option for you. Immigration lawyers look at the credentials of people who want to get a green card and make a detailed list of the documents those people need to provide.


The next step is filing Form I-140 (the Immigration Petition for Alien Workers) with the USCIS (Citizenship and Immigration Services). Lawyers who help people get into the country do this on their behalf and include all the necessary supporting documents.

Adjustment of Status

This phase is for lawfully present non-immigrants. The applicant wants to change from non-immigrant to citizen status. If so, your immigration attorney will file Form I-485. Once the form is granted, you’re a permanent resident.

Visa Processing

This process is done by applicants who do not reside in the United States. For visa processing, you must go to the US consulate or embassy in your home country to file a DS-260. Then, you will schedule a visa interview. Ensure you carry the following documents to your interview:

  • A copy of your DS-260 confirmation page
  • A valid passport
  • A recent passport photo
  • Supporting documents proving that you are an outstanding professor or researcher.
  • Your CV or resume.

You will be given an EB-1B visa if your interview at the Consulate goes well.

The Advantages of an EB-1B Visa

Immigrant Visa

With an EB-1B visa, you become an immigrant, which means you qualify for a green card. Once you become a green card holder, you can travel freely in and out of the United States. Being a green card holder also means that your family members can become green card holders, go to school in the US, and be authorized to work in the country.

Better Option than an EB-1A visa

To qualify for an EB-1B visa, you have to be internationally recognized as an outstanding professor or researcher in your field. This is a high standard to meet. However, getting a green card with an EB-1B visa is easier than getting an EB-1A visa, which requires showing extraordinary ability. As an outstanding professional, you don’t have to try your luck through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program. You stand a better chance of earning permanent residence status with an EB-1B visa.

No Need for Labor Certification.

Many employment-based immigrant visas require your employer to get an approved labor certification. The process of acquiring a labor certification is tedious and time-consuming for US employers since they first have to prove that they tried to hire a qualified US worker but were unable to. This makes it harder for US companies to hire foreign workers and help them get green cards.

How Elliott Immigration Law Can Help

At Elliott Immigration Law, we understand that applying for a green card is no walk in the park. We have immigration lawyers with years of experience helping people from around the world apply for green cards through employment-based immigration. Whether you are in the process of finding the right evidence proving you are an outstanding professor or researcher or want to apply for an EB-1B visa, we’ve got you covered.

Contact us at (404) 890-0372 to evaluate your potential for an EB-1B green card application today!

Call Now Button