General Frequently Asked Questions:

1. How do I change my address?
  • Go to
  • Click on the “Tools” tab at the top right
  • Click on “Change your address on file” in the middle column
  • Follow the instructions to complete Form AR-11 online or by mail
  • To complete your change of address online you will need
  • Your receipt number (if you have a pending case with USCIS)
  • Date and location of entry into the U.S.
  • Old and new address
  • **Remember that most non-U.S. citizens must report a change of address within 10 days of moving within the U.S. or its territories.
2. How do I check the status of my case with USCIS?
  • Go to
  • Click on the “Tools” tab at the top right
  • Click on “Check your case status online”
  • Enter your receipt number (Form I-797)
3. How do I check the current processing times?
  • Go to
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Click on “See office case processing times”
  • Select the Field Office/Service Center/NBC where your case will be processed
  • Click “Processing Dates” for that office/service center
4. As a permanent resident, how do I make an infopass appointment with USCIS?
  • Call the Contact Center at 800-375-5283 to request an appointment.
  • Notify the customer service agent that you are a permanent resident and are in need of evidence of your status for international travel (or other reason why evidence of your status is needed).
  • The customer service agent will schedule you for a call back to make an appointment.
  • An officer will call you back to schedule an appointment at the local Field Office.
  • You will attend the appointment with your passport, green card, and USCIS receipt notices.*

*In some cases, USCIS will mail you direct evidence of your status and you will not need to attend an appointment in person.

5. What if my visa expires while I’m in the U.S.?

Your visa to the U.S. is your legal document which allows you to enter the country for a specific purpose and period of time.  Typically you need a visa to enter the U.S. however there are exceptions, for example if you are from a visa waiver country.  

Upon your entry into the U.S. you are issued an electronic I-94. Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) is a document issued by the United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to foreign visitors upon arrival in the United States. The I-94 document contains information about your arrival and departure date, the port of entry, and the class of admission.

Previously, the I-94 was issued as a paper card stapled to the visitor’s passport. However, since 2013, the CBP has automated the I-94 process, and the form is now typically issued electronically upon arrival. You may access their electronic I-94 record online and print a copy for their records.

The I-94 document is the primary document that governs your stay while you are in the U.S.  It proves that you entered the country legally and are authorized to be in the US for a specific period of time.   

If your visa expires while you are in the United States, it does not necessarily mean that you have to leave the country immediately. The expiration of your visa only affects your ability to re-enter the United States if you leave the country after the expiration date.

Once you have arrived in the U.S. you should be conscious of the expiration date of your I-94 (rather than your visa) as this is the date by which you must depart the U.S. or apply for an extension of your status with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 

If you leave the United States before your visa expires and need to return, you will have to apply for a new visa in your home country before you can re-enter the United States. The expiration of your visa does not affect your ability to remain in the United States as long as you maintain valid immigration status.


Call Now Button