This is your way to become a US Citizen if you were born outside of the United States. Generally, you must be over 18 years old and have been a permanent resident for three or five years (depending on which naturalization category you are applying under).

Certain exceptions apply, so it is important to evaluate your case with Elliott Immigration Law before preparing and submitting your application.

If you are serving or have served in the U.S. armed forces and are interested in becoming a U.S. citizen, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Eligibility Requirements for Naturalization

  • You must be 18 years or older;
  • Have been a lawful permanent for three years if applying based on marriage to a US citizen or 5 years if applying on your own merits;
  • Have not taken trips outside of the US longer than 1 year;
  • Have not been physically outside the US for longer than ½ of the 3 or 5 proceeding years, depending on the basis of your application;
  • Lived in the state that you are applying for the last three months;
  • Have basic English reading and writing skills;
  • Be able to demonstrate good moral character;
  • Have registered for selective service for males between the ages of 18-26; and
  • Support the US constitution and the form of government of the United States.

Basic Steps in Process

  • The process begins with filing a N-400 application for Naturalization
  • Once filed, the applicant will receive a receipt notice and be scheduled for a biometric appointment for fingerprinting to ensure there are no significant criminal convictions
  • Several months later, the applicant will be schedule for their interview to review the forms, take the English and Civics test and demonstrate their good moral character
  • After a successful interview, the applicant will be schedule for their Naturalization Oath Ceremony

Provide the below information and one of our attorneys will get back to you.

Call our office now at (404) 890-0372 to
schedule an appointment
with an attorney or make your appointment online.

2310 Parklake Drive, Suite 284
Atlanta, GA 30345

Call Now Button